Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dave ... Welcoming you back with a question

Posted by liketolearn (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 07 at 23:02

Dave, welcome back! I came here several weeks ago for a question and was very disappointed to find you were "not around". As you can see you were missed by many. So glad your back. I still have that question so if you can be of help to explain this I'd appreciate it.

In 2003 we purchased 11 acres of bare land for $80,000. We put 50% down and took a Land Loan (Bank A) for the remaining balance.

In 2004 we refinanced the land to pull out equity to use towards building the house. We had a good amount of savings towards the home but needed some additional money and wanted to avoid a mortgage as we were going to general contract the house ourselves. The closing cost of a construction loan was estimated at $5000 whereas Bank B offered to refinance our land loan with no closing costs under a bank promotion they were running. The new appraisal came in at $115,000. Some of the increase in value was due to a $15,000 pole building that we had paid cash for. We refinanced with Bank B for $75,000 on a fixed 15 year loan. The bank listed it as a "home equity loan" though there was no home on the property.

We will soon be receiving our Certificate of Occupancy and would like to then refinance to get some additional money to complete some unfinished items. With the refinance we will still have more than 75% equity. Our income is stable but not increasing so we would like to stay with a fixed rate loan (no HELOC or adjustable rate).

I have talked to more than one bank and they have each said that we must get a mortgage. They say we can not refinance our home equity loan or get a second home equity loan. They can not explain why except to say that legally they can only do a home mortgage.

So my question is why can't we refinance our home equity loan or get a second home equity loan? Is it illegal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dave ... Welcoming you back with a question

Hi Liketolearn,

Thanks for the welcome!

I have talked to more than one bank and they have each said that we must get a mortgage. They say we can not refinance our home equity loan or get a second home equity loan. They can not explain why except to say that legally they can only do a home mortgage.
So my question is why can't we refinance our home equity loan or get a second home equity loan? Is it illegal?

There's something being lost in the translation here... and I blame my loan officer counterparts for being too damn stiff to take the time to explain better ;~P

Your home equity loan *IS* a 'mortgage.'

Pedantically the term "mortgage" refers to a loan that has terms including a repayment schedule such that after a series of payments all of the interest and principal will have been repaid in full.

Practically, the term "mortgage" is commonly used to refer to closed-end loans (where you aren't allowed to pay balance in, and then re-draw it back out again,) that are collateralized by real estate.

Don't be overly confused by the terms mortgage, or home equity loan. If you are successfully qualifying for loan offers backed by your property, its effectively all the same.

Cheers,
Dave Donhoff
Strategic Equity & Mortgage Planner

o

Thanks Dave. So my "refinanced land loan" that the bank calls a "home equity loan" is actually a "mortgage"?

I'm sure we will qualify for the loan but I was hoping to go for a home equity loan as I thought the closing cost would be much less than a mortgage and our current loan is at a fixed 5.99% (lower than current rates).

o

Hi L2L,
Yes... all the same.
Luck!
Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here