SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sid_79_gw

water/sewer bill

sid_79
18 years ago

I closed on a house on January 10th

I spent at least a week just painting, wasn't fully moved in for over a week. Just my wife and I, no kids.

I just got my first bill for water and sewer, and they say that between 1/10/06 and 2/13/06 I used 1600 cubic feet. That seems totally outragous to me. The water department's website says they bill quarterly but reserve the right to bill monthly.

We do a couple of loads of laundry a week with a front loading washer (25 gallons per load), and we were running the dishwasher 2 or 3 times a week. We both took showers that were approximately 10 minutes (+/- 5 minutes any given day). We did have our carpets professionally cleaned (truck mounted equipment connected to our outside faucet), but that only took an hour.

Now the last meter read on the bill was about 2.5 weeks ago. I just wrote down the number currently on the meter and according to the number on the bill I've used over 1000 cf in that time frame. Again this is just two people and I've even been gone several days in that time frame. i plan on writing down the number daily for a little while.

My neighboring city's water district website says the average household in that city uses 2000cf per quarter. There is no way my wife and I are that wasteful when compared to the average household.

Did the city make a mistake?

Comments (20)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler