Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paypal question and RANT!

Posted by chemocurl (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 08 at 22:25

Grrrrrr......

Last Wed 3/5 at 8PM I initiated a transfer for funds from my checking account to be deposited in my Paypal account. After I submitted the transfer I rec notice that the funds should be in my PP account on 3/10 by 5PM.

This afternoon I called my bank, and found out the funds had been withdrawn from my account. They did not arrive at Palpay b4 5PM. They still are not there.

What is up with that? I used the PP link for customer service and I was led to believe they would answer my question promptly.

Now if my money is not in my bank, and it is not in my PP account, just where is it? I asked PP that. I asked if it was lost. I asked when they expected to have it in there as I won an ebay auction Sat and was needing to pay for it.

Why does it seem that so few things go right any more? Do you suppose PP takes the funds asap, holds them (HUGE lump sum of everyone's) and even draws interest on them?

I'm so stressed about this. The ebay seller even went ahead and shipped my item. I just emailed all of the above details to her...sigh

I guess this is household finance, as I purchased attachments for a kitchen Aid Mixer, for juicing, grinding, and slicing. I will be enjoying it when I put up the harvest in 2008.

Sue...disgruntled Pay Pal customer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paypal question and RANT!

Greetings everyone,

One thing that I can't understand is that I can send an email to chemocurl in under 5 seconds ...

... but it takes *5 days* to transfer money from her bank account to PayPal??

The banks are all the time trying to get us to use those machines that stand enticingly just inside their front doors, so they can hardly claim that they send the money by mail!

Heck - I'm sure that chenocurl could send a letter to me, over that border, and have it arrive in about that much time ... or possibly less. Even if it had a cheque in it!

Maybe it went to India en route (quite a few people speak English, there).

Or China (many don't, there - but they're learning).

I told my daughter several years ago, who knows some of three languages ... that the next would be Chinese.

Our people need to pull up their socks.

Have a great week, everyone.

ole joyful

o

Sue,
Is this the first time you've used Paypal? The reason I ask is that I've both bought and sold on ebay using Paypal. It always seems to take a few days for the funds to show up. It doesn't bother the seller because paypal credits their account immediately.

I've noticed that it takes a few days for the funds to come out of my bank account after I've made a purchase and it also takes a few days for the funds to show up in my account when I transfer funds from paypal to my bank account.

I have to agree with you and joyful. I cannot see any reason why it should not happen overnight, but it doesn't seem like anything to get too upset about. As I said, paypal credits the seller immediately. The seller knows that if you used paypal that she/he will get paid.

Enjoy your attachments!
G'ma

o

I hardly ever use Paypal but when I do its set up to go right on my credit card. Gives me a record of everything, get a little cash back from CC end of the year, no interest because I pay in full every month. Plus its quick, easy and seems like extra protection. Sandy

o

I got a PP account only a few months ago, after years of trading on a hobbyist website using only Money orders and sometimes personal checks. it is much more convenient.

That's it. In all, I don't trust them with jack. I keep the least amount of money possible in my account and have not given them my credit card number.

Funnily enough the same thing happened to me today. I bought something that cost perhaps 5% more than I had funds for. So it ALL went into an e-Check status, and the seller says he is going to wait to ship because that's what the PP letter advised him to do. Let's see when it clears. However, about 10 hours after the e-check, my bank account still has not been touched.

Paypal is the most draconian system I've ever seen. Make one false step and you're out some cash. I have a personal account, so I don't pay the 3% on an incoming payment IF that payment was NOT made by credit card. I received one once, and my full account was converted to a 3% level. I had to reject the payment (and lose the sale) so that I could revert my status.

As for where does the money go? It's called Float, and yes it's a multi-billion dollar "business".

o

Well, I am happy to say the funds went into the account about 2 hours after I emailed them asking if it was lost and when it would be there.

herus,
So if I happen to rec in funds from an account that is funded by a credit card (and accept them) it will change my account. I had someone pay me some $ once, and paypal was going to deduct some money for doing it. I refused the payment...who wants to pay money to receive their money, unless they are selling a good bit on line?

As for where does the money go? It's called Float, and yes it's a multi-billion dollar "business".
Just out of curiosity, I'll try to remember to check just when the funds were taken from my bank account.

I will have to give PP credit...they did look around and find my $$$ fairly quickly after it was brought to their attention that it was lost.

o

I don't use my paypal account very often. last year we had our credit card fraudulently used and the credit card company gave us a new account number. Tried to use the paypal account but it would only let me log in with the old account number (which i no longer have). called paypal, who were less than helpful. Said if i wanted to continue to use the service i would have to create a new account. Oh, well, i guess they are now one client less than before.

o

"So if I happen to rec in funds from an account that is funded by a credit card (and accept them) it will change my account. I had someone pay me some $ once, and paypal was going to deduct some money for doing it. I refused the payment...who wants to pay money to receive their money, unless they are selling a good bit on line?"

Yes, exactly. Looks like you went through that too. It's a real pain to tell my co-hobbyists that they cannot make me cc payments. When I pay them, even though not cc-based, many of them probably pay the fee because their own accounts have been "upgraded" at some point.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here