Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Contractors and Materials in the new economy

Posted by kraftdee (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 08 at 18:32

I'm totally clueless about economy and wonder if anyone out there has seen forecast --or maybe it's obvious (just not to me) if it is better to buy material for home improvements now or later. We won't be ready for another 6-8 months and I'm just wondering if I can expect a decrease or increase in price of material and labor due to the economy changes that have and will be occuring? I appreciate any insight.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Contractors and Materials in the new economy

The major problem I see - aside from the real prospect that the prices of materials and labor will NOT be going down even when the economy shakes out - is the logistics of stockpiling materials for a project scheduled for some time in the future.

I suppose much would depend on the kind of renovation you'll be doing, but all along the planning process needs, wants and tastes change. Perhaps it would be better to have some upward flexibility in your budget.

With the tightening controls on credit, some of the fallout of all this will be many more people redoing existing homes as opposed to buying new ones - so contractors and those in the buiding trades will be in big demand and charges for materials and labor will be equally demanding.

o

My husband is a drywall contractor, and many of his suppliers have sent out notices about material price increases in the next month or two due to increased transportation costs.

o

I don't like to be disagreeable, but I question whether this is to be called a "new economy".

There have been financial crises from time to time, though seldom as serious as this one - this one may turn out to be one of the worst in a half century or so. Anyone think of the "Dirty Thirties"?

The building business has been cyclical for a long time - first there's a boom, then a slackening. When there's a recession, people tend not to take on big issues, especially debt, like buying a house.

It seems to me that currently, with more houses being on the market due to the fallout from the mortgage crisis, fewer houses will be built, which will mean a reduction in the big demand for building materials.

I agree that the higher cost of fuel will impact the cost of the goods that we buy, all along the line.

Also, as the value of the U.S. Dollar drops, stuff that you import will cost more.

It could be that the potential rise in cost due to rising costs of materials will be somewhat offset by lowered demand due to reductions in new building.

Which will apply to the contractors, as well - if they're building hardly any houses, they'll be looking for renovation work and may be willing to work for lower than usual costs.

My landlord the sod farmer says that he expects a slow summer, in that much of the demand in the sod business is for new housing - not many concrete foundations being put in place last fall, set to be framed during the winter. He's spent much of the winter repairing and repainting his machines, to make them operable for a more extended period.

We have a substantial 40-year-old Ford plant building their big cars, Grand Marquis and Crown Vics locally, that have laid off quite a few recently, as part of the reason in this area.

Which may mean less demand for not only building materials, but contractors, as well, as that's rather a cyclical business.

It might be a good time for me to buy some materials, within a year or so (maybe more for I look for this cutback to be prolonged), as I want to build some storage space in the attic, even though it's not my home. My landlord's a good guy and I'm paying fairly low rent, here.

On the other hand - when you're nearing 80, your view of "long term" tends to have a somewhat different definition than in earlier years.

Living 8 miles from the village and about 17 miles from the city means that I'll have a difficult time continuing to live here when I can't keep my driver's licence: hitch-hiking isn't much fun in winter.

I hope that you all have a great weekend ... and are responding to the rejoicing and challenges of Easter, if that celebratory event is meaningful to you.

ole joyful

o

thank to all of you wise people for sharing your thoughts on this. this is really helpful !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here