Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
???? on savings bonds

Posted by waddles (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 8, 04 at 16:50

We received an EE series bond for our wedding about 8 years ago. I thought about cashing it in and buying two more with it as I thought it matured after 7 years. I have been doing a little bit of research and it says that it will not mature for 30 years - is this true.

I don't know that I can stay married for 30 years to get my half of the $50.00 out of him, possibly he will buy me out. lol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ???? on savings bonds

Hi waddles (or should I call you "duckie"?)

Some bonds mature earlier than others.

Some people, too.

Have a great week, and good wishes to you and yours,

ole joyful

o

Your bond doesn't have to be completely mature for you to cash it in, however. For older bonds, you just have to have it for 6 months. For newer ones, you have to hang onto it for a year. You WILL get somewhat less than face value. I'm including a link below where you can tell how much your bond is worth at this point in time.

Here is a link that might be useful: US Savings Bond Calculator

o

Kitchen - thanks for the link. I went on there and it says that in 8 years my bond has grown 9.08. I think this is crazy as it will not mature until 2026. Thankfully, it is a small bond and we don't really need the money just thought it would be fun to play with it and buy more bonds with it.

Unfortunately, my FIL bought a bunch of bonds for the kids thinking this would help with their schooling. Unless they start college when they are in their mid 30's this is not a good idea.

Whoever thought that hanging onto a bond for 30 years would be a great idea?

o

$9.08 isn't a bad return on a $25 investment when you consider that you are guaranteed to make that money. I think it's around 2.5% interest or something? Way better than what you can get in most savings and moneymarket accounts nowadays.

The original cost of a bond is half of face value, so basically in 30 years it will double in value. It will still accrue decent interest even if you don't wait until the maturation date. It's not going to be as good as some investments but it's guaranteed, which may or may not be important to you. The more risk you are willing to take, the higher possible returns.

I don't think buying bonds for young kids is a bad idea... it's a heck of a lot better than giving them cash that will be spent or put into a savings account!

o

Those are very good points. Plus you have tax advantages with U.S. Savings Bonds. Obviously on a $50 bond it's all pretty academic, but as KitchenGodsWife said, they are not a bad investment at all compared to what else is out there.

Instead of cashing your lonely $50 bond in, consider buying more. You can also get the Series I bonds that are indexed to the rate of inflation as well as having a minimum guaranteed rate of return. You can have money automatically deducted from your savings or checking account at intervals you choose, and bonds will be sent to you.

I know a family who buys cars this way: Instead of making payments, they have $200 or so taken out of their checking account each month to buy bonds. Then when they need a new car, they cash in the bonds and pays cash for it. So they're earning interest on car payments rather than paying interest.

Of course, they could invest the money in some other way, too. But I have found that at least for me, the advantage of bonds is that you see them and hold them in your hand, and you resist cashing them in until you really need to.

o

My wife and I have savings bonds maturing monthly. The young people at the bank are stunned when they see the interest. Keep your savings bond and the web site KitchenGodsWife recommended. You will enjoy your investment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here