Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Company filedChapter 11 Bankruptcy

Posted by sconti_95 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 18, 09 at 16:39

Having a company install thin pavers on my lanai and pool deck. Have not given any money, with the total amount due upon completion and my satisfaction. Saw in the local paper the company has filed Chapter 11 Bankuptcy, but the owner called me yesterday and said that everything was set to start the job Monday. Should I have anything to be concerned about as I have not given any money and will not until I am satisfied. Would be interested in knowing if anyone has had any experience with a similar situation. Thanks !!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Company filedChapter 11 Bankruptcy

I wouldn't be too worried - they just restructure, reorganize and go on with business as usual. It should be fairly seamless for you as a consumer.

If they don't expect to get paid until they complete the work to your satisfaction you're pretty well protected.

o

I guess I might wonder if the company would be around in a year or two if I had problems after the initial installation. I might also wonder about any subcontractors who might not get paid and then end up with a lien on my property. Of course all of this could happen with someone who wasn't in bankruptcy.

o

"...they just restructure, reorganize and go on with business as usual. It should be fairly seamless for you as a consumer."

Well, not entirely. First, a BK Court & the company's creditors must approve a restructure plan. And, possibly, the issue of most concern in today's environment is whether the company is able to secure Debtor In Possession (DIP) financing. That is, under no circumstances, a given today.

If the contractor fails to pay his supplier for the materials and/or labor on your job those contractors may file a Mechanic's Lien against your property. Frankly, with so many contractors looking for work today, I'd find somebody else to do the job.

/tricia

o

duluthinbloomz4,gibby3000,and triciae:
Thank you very much for your quick response. As for the material,(12'square thin pavers,2000 sq.ft.)I am paying for them myself. Regarding the labor, I am going to examine that closely. As mentioned however, this could occur with any company.I have used this company before without any incidents,so hopefully the same positive results will occur. I have known the owner for a long time, so hope that is worth something.Again, thanks to each of you for your insight and advice. It is greatly appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here