SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cube1067

Confession: I fell off the LBYM wagon.

cube1067
19 years ago

DonÂt know why, but in May Â04 I slipped off the LBYM wagon. (LBYM Â living below your means)

A few weeks ago on "Suze Orman" a 35 y.o. man called in with a similar confession. Apparently heÂs been a saver all his working life, but had fallen in with a new shop-a-holic girlfriendÂand now he was having trouble gaining control of his own spending. SuzeÂs words were consolingÂ.she said he should remember that he had what it took to be smart about money and that he had shown he could control his money in the past and to just "pick himself up, dust himself off, start all over again". Her words helped me look at myself.

When I fell off the wagon I also stopped logging my spending in my Excel spreadsheet. I think thoughts of mortality started my decline. Just before the spending spree IÂd started seriously getting my will, powers of attorney and trusts in order. It seemed daunting, downright depressing and expensive. While getting my affairs in order I lost a favorite earring, so I went online to find a replacement, and I bought one pair, then another, and anotherÂ. and so on.

IÂve restarted my spreadsheet and now I have a reduced interest in shopping. But I havenÂt resumed getting my "estate" in orderÂÂ.donÂt want to re-prime the pump.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Rick's Renovations Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars41 Reviews
Chesterfield County's Full Service Renovation Company