Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Executors (especially BreenThumb if you're hanging around)

Posted by azzalea (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 15, 08 at 14:29

Breen--I recall how much of a hassle you were having with cash flow with the estate you were settling.

But this tip is good for any who are charged with handling an estate after someone dies.

Don't forget to contact your state's unclaimed property division. Just got a letter back from ours (I'd written about 6 weeks ago) that there's an account sitting there in mom's name with several hundred $$$ in it. Takes a bit of documentation to claim it--but it's not too complicated.

Can't hurt to check, and maybe you'll find some $$$ you weren't aware of.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Executors (especially BreenThumb if you're hanging around)

That's an excellent tip! Also, some states let you check on-line, you can research for any forgotten accounts very quickly.

o

Yes, check the online site first--that's where I found that there was money in Mom's name. So I wrote to the dept, to find out exactly what I needed to do, as the executor, to claim it (and I couldn't tell from the online entry, how much was in the account).

In all honesty, when I wrote the letter, I didn't know if it was .12, $12, or a fortune. Turned out to be significant, but not staggering. Now I just have to see how long it takes for the check to get turn up.

Oh, and always send documents 'return receipt requested'.

o

This is even a good tip if you're still alive. Check your own name - you may get a nice surprise....my sister did.

o

Thanks azzalea, yes I'm still around. The initial shock of of the situation has worn off and now I'm coping with things as they come up---still, easily, an issue every week or so. We had a doozy this week and I was just going to post about it when I read this.

Will surely check on this, and thanks again. Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here