Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Estate Executor Information

Posted by uicricket (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 14:04

Can anyone recommend a good publication regarding executing an estate? Estate is basic and has no property -- just household goods, cash and cd's, income for 2009 and 2010. I would like to be informed before meeting with the attorney. Thank you in advance.

Cricket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Estate Executor Information

It probably depends on what state you are in. Google your state name (or the state of the deceased) and estate executor.

I didn't even use quotation marks or plus signs, and I got back lots of info. (Link might not work for you because I use Firefox.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Iowa estate executor

o

If you're the executor, you'll get all the information you'll need when you file the will with the surrogate's office. I was executrix for my mother's estate. It's really very simple. You basically have to: get a tax ID # from SS, track down all the assets, put them in an estate account, pay off all debts, file the appropriate taxes, and divide the remaining assets among the heirs. When you make the distribution, you will provide the heirs with an accounting of all the money while it was in your care and you'll ask them to sign a legal document regarding the final distribution (basically stating that if any further debts surface, all heirs will give back money, in equal shares, to pay them). You can get the form from your lawyer. Then you'll notify SS that the tax ID number is no longer in use.

The surrogate's office gave me all the info I really needed. I did run everything by my lawyer (I was seeing him about something else at the time), but it really wasn't necessary.

The best place to start, if you have questions, would be your county store--they will have all the forms and info you need for your jurisdiction. Ours even arranged for the surrogate to come out and meet me there, so I didn't have to go into the city to file the will.

o

Azzalea,

Your information may not be the same in other states. There may be no surrogates office, and no need to file the will. Such procedures will be extremely state-specific.

o

Sushipup is correct. In CA, for example, you'll get no advice at all from any government entity. The fiduciary responsibility is solely upon the executrix or trustee to know how and what to do, and in what order. Neither simple nor easy, especially if the deceased has left the estate in a disorganized mess.

o

DW is studying 'Estate and Trust Management For Dummies'. It may cover a lot that you won't need to deal with, but also has a lot of good advice that probably will concern you. You might find a copy at your library.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here