Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Animal Farm

Posted by bunnyman (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 08 at 13:46

Now more then ever people around the world need to read Orwell's Animal Farm. See if you can't hear a few oinks next time the Federal Reserve comes up with a "plan".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Animal Farm

Oink ...

oink.

Is that like ...

... printing money?

I hear that the U.S. is doing some of that, these days.

That's inflationary, isn't it?

o j

o

Besides 'Animal Farm', Mr. Orwell also wrote this little story called 'Nineteen Eighty-Four', as you know. Equally brilliant (some say more so) and just as prescient of today's political climate.

"War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength
"

Is there such a thing as a posthumous Nobel Prize?

o

Oh... here we have in the news the bail out of Bear Sterns investment bank. They made a pile of money on mortgage securities and now the tax payers have to pick up the mess after the money is gone. No problem because I gots lots of extra money I was saving to donate to the taxman.

After Animal Farm I could never finish reading 1984.

o

I am repeatedly amazed at the gullibility of the American taxpayer... there seems to be a naive belief that the elected people will always do their level best for their consituents and many of them DO.

But as a taxpayer, one voice in the chorus that makes up our government, I have always understood that I have to make my voice heard repeatedly, ESPECIALLY in between elections.

A government that spies on its citizens in the name of security frightens me. A war that was supposed to be finished in just over a year but drags on expensively doesn't surprise me. A "free" press that asks no TOUGH questions about policy appalls me, esp. when they broadcast on PUBLIC airwaves for the benefit of the populace.

Mr. Orwell was years ahead of his time, IMO.

o

"They made a pile of money on mortgage securities and now the tax payers have to pick up the mess after the money is gone."

Thats what it boils down to. Investment banks made decisions that led the country into recession and now THEY want a handout? Yeah right (not).

Businessweek had a cover story "Recession Time" by Peter Coy (March 13) that said as much.

"GAMBLERS, LIARS, AND SLEAZY LENDERS"

The airwaves and blogosphere are alive with people who say nothing should be done. They argue that intervening now would only delay the inevitable liquidation of credit-fueled excesses. "Under proposed bailouts, responsible people lose and have to give their money to gamblers, liars, and sleazy lenders," says the widely followed Patrick.net housing blog.

I tried to post the link, but got the following message from GW. So if you want to read the story, just google the title and author.

" That Home Site!

Spam Alert:

In order to fight spam, we need your cooperation!

Unfortunately, we have been the victims of spam attacks (the posting of ads) promoting this site or business (NON-ALLOWED LINK) and they are now blocked completely to prevent a recurrence.

Please do not mention them in our forums or elsewhere at this site.

Any attempt at circumventing this block by using our site to refer others to this business will be interpreted as an attempt to further spam our site and you will be permanently banned from using our services.That Home Site!

We appreciate your cooperation in keeping messages ad-free!"

o

Who now owns this website?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here