Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Correcting personal information on credit report?

Posted by silverdove (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 07 at 12:21

I request credit reports every year. My credit history is fine, and there are no errors in the credit information. However, my name and address are incorrect, and have been for several years.

I did report that the information was incorrect, but I was told by the agencies that the errors in personal information cannot be corrected because they are recorded the way the information is reported by creditors.

However, the name is way wrong. If it were a former married name, I wouldn't worry about it, but it a name that I never used. It is the first name on the list, so it is supposed to be my current name. It makes me feel like I'm not a real person.

And my "current address" as shown on the reports is actually my former spouse's address. I never lived there.

Is there any way to get this information changed?

I haven't applied for any new credit in over six years. If I applied for a new credit card, would the new information override the incorrect information, so that the supposed current information would be correct?

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Correcting personal information on credit report?

Good luck! I hope someone can answer this. I would like to know also. Our credit report shows a Visa account with BofA from 1972 that says it is still open.

Well both DH and I were married to other people way back then and neither one of us have ever had any accounts with BofA. I called BofA and they said there is no, and never has been, a account with that number. I tried for several year to get it removed and finally gave up.

I know it doesn't hurt anything. When we bought our last house they said we had the highest credit score they had ever seen but I would still like to get it removed.

RE: Correcting personal information on credit report?

we corrected personal information on my husbands credit report.
We had disputed a invalid line on his report. When I got the letter there was a case number that I found I needed to get to a human. I told them that there were 2 different spelling of his name that were incorrect I have a feeling they were typos made by companies "solciting us" . The person I spoke with removed them. So it can be done.

So maybe if you file a dispute that the names is wrong and you get a letter that they "can't fix it" with a case number it will enable you to get to a person. and you never know thay may use the dispute to fix the problem


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here