Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
beneficiary assume or inherit?

Posted by calirose (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 11:22

My husband has a 401k rollover into Roth. I have the option of assuming or inheriting the funds. Since taxes haven't been paid on any of these funds, I can't see any benefit of either choice (ie as opposed to setting a value on real estate for tax purposes).

I am over the 59 1/2 and under 70, so am not making a distribution decision right now.

Advice or explanation of the two options?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: beneficiary assume or inherit?

You seriously need to consult a tax professional. Someone who will know your specific circumstances. And I thought that taxes were paid on Roth money, unlike the 401K which is pre-tax money.

No, you need a professional to assist you.

o

I second sushipup's suggestion. The Internet is only good for general discussions. They should not be relied upon in specific and critical situations.

As I'm fond of saying, such advice is worth precisely what you paid for it - meaning, zero.

o

thanks, I was just trying to get a feel for what to ask a tax atty.
ps: there are different types of roth accts.

o

Sorry, Calirose. All Roths IRAs are funded with money that has already been taxed. Is it possible that the 401K was rolled into a traditional IRA and not a Roth IRA?

I'll third the need to talk to a tax professional. I'd suggest an Enrolled Agent who will probably charge you less than a tax attorney.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here