SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judith_gw

Do you check your meter readings against your bill?

Judith
20 years ago

Just wondering how many, if anyone, checks the meter readings of their electric meter, water meter, gas meter, etc. against their bill when they receive it. I know the reading will be different but it is a way to determine if the reading seems reasonable. I am asking this because this morning I opened my water bill and couldn't believe what my bill said. My water bill usually runs about 16.00 per month. This month it was $65.00 and said that I had used over 13,800 gallons of water. I don't have a dishwasher and don't even have a washing machine and am quite frugal in my water usage. The first thing I did was to go outside with a flashlight (it was 5:00 AM) and look for a leak. No leak was found. Then I read my water meter and wrote down the number and went back in the house to check the meter reading number on my bill. It was way off. The bill said my meter reading was 267800 back on the 23rd of Feb. when the meter was read. This morning my meter reading was 259130 which looked to be the right amount from what was on the bill last month. I called the water co. and they corrected the amount. The woman said that the meter readers look at numbers all day long and they do make mistakes. The mistake on my bill was so large that I knew right away that something was wrong, but if it had been only a few dollars off I propably would have just gone and paid it and not checked the meter. From now on, I am checking the meter reading myself. Judith

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry