SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chelone_gw

Silly things you do

chelone
18 years ago

What sorts of "little" things do you do to keep your expenses lower? I'll go first...

We use a woodstove. I deal with dust, debris daily. But I like the cozy temperature inside. I help cut, split, stack cordwood. It's actually FUN! Its use has kept our home at a temperature that keeps my elderly mother comfortable on the very coldest of days. I like seeing her in the wing chair near the stove,book in hand, enjoying limited winter sunshine and soaking up the stove's heat. I never hear her complain, "I'm cold"... makes me feel good.

We don't own a dryer. No kidding. I use the same rack my grandmother used from the late '20s on. In front of the woodstove, the things on it dry in a few hours. I hang tee shirts on hangers on the crown mouldings over every doorway and several windows. I use the railing around the open staircase, too. Jeans and heavier clothing are hung in the furnace room. In the summer laundry is hung outdoors. You learn to "plan" your wardrobe and honestly, I don't think I devote THAT much more time laundry than someone with a dryer does.

No dishwasher. We have a wall mounted rack to dry glasses, stemware. Our dishrack is on a sloped drainboard. I do the dishes and I actually like the repetitive nature of the "chore". I start with chaos, let my mind wander, and when I'm done with a mundane activity the kitchen looks great.

I pay for cash items with BILLS. I pocket the change and deposit in a jar at the end of the day. At the end of the month I roll it and usually invest it, or direct it to charities of our choice. It's a nice way to be reminded of the value of CASH. And how small, daily expenditures can impact your life.

You?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
More Discussions