SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zone_8grandma

Slightly OT - White Bean Chili recipe

zone_8grandma
16 years ago

I know this is a little off topic - but it came up on the "Simple Ways to Find Money" thread. The subject was substituting something on hand instead of running to the store. For those who asked, here is my White Bean Chili recipe. (Source: Weight Watchers' Cream of the Crop cookbook).

It calls for dried beans, but I've used 2 cans of white beans to save the soaking time.

White Bean Chili

1 lb Great Northern beans

1 Tbs olive oil

2 medium onions, chopped

2 tsp ground cumin

1 1/2 tsp dried oregano

dash of ground red pepper

2 (4.5 oz) cans chopped green chilis, undrained

4 garlic cloves, minced (I use a little less)

6 cups chicken broth

5 cups chopped, cooked chicken breast (about 1 1/2 lbs)

3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

3/4 cup sour cream

3/4 cup salsa

Chopped fresh parsley (optional) If I don't have fresh, I use dried that I keep on hand

1. Sort and wash the beans, place in a large ovenproof Dutch oven. cover with water to 2" above the beans; cover and let stand 8 hours. Drain in a colander, set beans aside

2. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions; saute until tender. Add cumin and next 4 indgredients; saute 2 minutes. Add beans and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 2 hours until beans are tender, stirring occassionally. Add chicken, 1 cup cheese, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

3. Spoon chili into bowls; top with remaining cheese, sour cream and salsa

Yield: 12 servngs (serving size is 1 cup, 2 1/2 Tbs cheese, 1 Tbs sour cream and 1 Tbs salsa)

Per serving: Cal 404 (28% from fat), Pro 34.7 g, Fat 12.7 g (st 5.8g) Carb 30.6 g, Fiber 8.4 g, Chol 83.2 mg, Iron 3.2 mg, Sod 948 mg; Calc 293 mg. WW points: 6

Note (I use reduced sodium chicken broth, low fat sour cream and MJ cheese. Also I don't use as much chicken or cheese as the recipe calls for). You can also substitute fresh ground turkey for the chicken.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz
More Discussions