Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a 'gadget' for your wallet, to keep you from spending

Posted by talley_sue_nyc (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 08 at 10:17

a wallet buddy

basically, it's a paper sleeve for your debit or credit card (print, cut out, fold, and glue) that lists questions you should answer before you decide to buy it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a 'gadget' for your wallet, to keep you from spending

This is what I get when I click on the link.

"Alert-Browser doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (hhttp) isn't associated with any program"

o

maybe this will work

Here is a link that might be useful: PDF format-cute idea!

o

thanks, chemocurl!

Sorry, dreamgarden; I didn't check my link, and got an extra "h" in there.

o

I would probably never buy anything if I started using that. I would end up in rags, a bag lady, using cardboard boxes for furniture. :)

o

Knowing how much MONEY I have to spend and what I need to buy is what allows me to stay comfortably BELOW my means. "I don't need no stinkin' gadget".

It all comes down to "want" and "need". Nothing wrong with either want or need. The trouble comes when you begin thinking "want" is more important than "need".

Until you are able to control both forces, no gadget is going to safeguard you from the danger of your greed. ;)

o

"Sorry, dreamgarden; I didn't check my link, and got an extra "h" in there."

No problem.

Seems like it might be a good thing to tuck in a birthday card along with one of those 'prepaid' credit cards.

o

I have a "gadget" but doesn't fit in my wallet. It's called self-control and it's inside me. My gadget is the knowledge of knowing what my limits and our goals are. And since DH and I have place a high degree of importance on our goals (i.e. comfortable retirement), paper folders aren't needed.

o

Most of the folks here are smart enough not to need one of those card-holders.

But just think how nice they'd keep them looking!

But we don't "buy" "credit" (i.e. debt) cards.

They are owned by the issuer - they just lend them to us.

They can take back their property, any time that they choose ... or refuse to let us use them any more.

They're in charge ... and don't you forget it!

Good wishes for increasingly shrewd use of your income and assets, everyone.

ole joyful

o

Amateurs! People like me who court debt don't need the physical credit card to get into trouble. I had no mortgage or car payment six years ago...now I'm back in debt and no longer smug. Paid off a 15 year mortgage in 11 years...now I have a 30 year at 5.85% to consolidate all my CC debt. Did it all without pulling out a physical credit card. I have not carried a credit card or a checkbook in years. I just pick up the phone and order with the numbers already on file.

I am getting back on track..but still having problems saying "NO" to my wants. Saving for my "needs" depressed me....now I am depressed and poor and I readily admit that depressed and financially secure is better.

Greed? Is shop-a-holism some sort of greed? Nobody sees what I buy. My car is from 1999. I live in a modest home. I work in a one-man office. Filled four Salvation Army bags last night. Must've been 16 outfits donated that I wore only once. I am realizing now that I've bought clothes for a life I do not lead.

o

I spend long hours at work and its difficult to find time to get out and shop. I don't need any gadgets to control my spending. I need more sleep.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here