Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about cc solicitations

Posted by EricaSJ (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 2, 05 at 9:19

We've lived in our house 10 years, and the seller was elderly at the time. There's a good possibility she isn't even still living.

However, over the past few months we've started to get a lot of credit card offers addressed to her here. In these days of identify theft, it makes me kind of uneasy. Why is this happening all of a sudden? I looked up how to get off mailing lists, but this is what I found.

The Direct Marketing Assn. says you can only get yourself off their lists, not someone else. They require a signature, and I'm not going to sign her name! Or, you can do it online but they charge $5 and require a credit card. Obvoiusly the names won't match.

There is a number to call for getting off credit card mailing lists, but it's automated and they require a social security number. So I wouldn't be able to explain the problem.

Any other ideas? I can't bear the thought of calling back about each and every offer to get off the lists piecemeal.

Erica

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about cc solicitations

Just write "deceased" on the envelopes and stick them back in the mailbox. The Post Office will return them to the senders (unless she filed a change of address from her deathbed, knowing where she would end up.)

o

I think I'd just throw them out. On the off chance that identity theft is occurring, giving out a piece of information such as "deceased" could just make it easier for the perpetrators to abuse this person's identity.

Most likely what has happened is that some company has bought a mailing list that has not been regularly updated, and this old name and address is still on it.

o

I may be wrong, but I don't think that the Post Office returns anything except first class mail to the sender. Those CC solicitations are bulk junk mail. Writing 'deceased' on it won't help. Even if it was returned, I doubt if they would take the trouble or time to delete the name from the mailing lists.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here