Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Security System & Homeowners Insurance

Posted by annie1956 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 19, 10 at 7:43

Hi All,
Last October we has a whole house security system installed by a national company - the whole ball of works - windows, doors, alarms, central stationing etc. All of the companies advertised 15-20% discount off of our homeowners insurance premium. Well, we finally received our declaration page back and we got a whopping 5% discount. They had previously given us 2% discount for "protective devices" (for what I don't know) and know they upped it to 7%. I am SOOOO disapointed and am going to call the agent. I wouldn't feel so bad if it was even 12% or so - but this is a rip.
So - what all does your insurance companies give for discounts?
BTW - our company is FMI.
And - I had already back in the late summer had them adjust our dwelling down by $53,400 because they kept increasing it. Homeowners is prepaid 1 year in advance and they won't give any money back - they say they will credit off of next year's bill. So now I really have to count to make sure they discount the bill come June (if I don't go elsewhere).
Thanks
A

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Security System & Homeowners Insurance

I think ours was about a 4% discount. I was pretty disappointed as well.

o

Did either of you check with your insurance company about any discounts before you added the security system. Any discount should be secondary to the preceived need for a security system not a reason to add one.

o

I didn't check with my insurance company, but the reason we installed the system was for security, not for the discount.

I was, however, still disappointed when I found out how little the discount was. I suspect that the security firms are probably inflating this number to make their service more attractive to people who are on the fence.

o

I would have installed a security system even if there was no discount. I get about 5% and consider it gravy.

Not to chide you, but it's not surprising to hear that someone selling you something might inflate the size of a discount that they are not responsible for...

o

We were getting the security system no matter what - just thought the 15-20% discount would be FABULOUS! I called anouther insurance company (Liberty Mututal) and theirs was about 4-5% as well. So that's what seems to be the standard...
Thanks for the responses
A

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here