Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
financing college for a grandchild

Posted by pamies (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 07 at 7:11

We want to help defray some of my DGD's expenses for college. She has some grants and her parents can pay some too but we would like to see her avoid hugh a student loan bill upon graduation. Are there any ways to claim any sort of deduction? Setting up some sort of trust?
Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: financing college for a grandchild

Hi Pam,

We want to help defray some of my DGD's expenses for college. She has some grants and her parents can pay some too but we would like to see her avoid hugh a student loan bill upon graduation. Are there any ways to claim any sort of deduction? Setting up some sort of trust?

Yes, there are absolutely ways to strategically set aside funds for DGD's future education. You want to do so, however, keeping in mind both tax issues, and avoiding accidentally eliminating her future ability to qualify for other grants or very-low interest loans.

There are Financial Planners that specialize in college funding planning. I recommend checking out the NAPFA (http://www.napfa.org/) for local references.

Luck!
Dave Donhoff
Strategic Equity & Mortgage Planner

Here is a link that might be useful: National Association of Personal Financial Advisors

o

Thanks Dave!
I guess I should have clarified the fact that my DGD starts college this Sept. Costs won't be too great if she attends her choice in state(CA) where she has been accepted, but she is not making her final decision until she hears from her out of state choice, they will notify her in April. She does have grants lined up, but they don't begin to cover outstate expenses.
Pam

o

Hi Pam,
OK... then the following is simple advice (I always suggest double checking with your tax & estate advisors as well as with college funding planners... there are still devils in the details.)

You could directly "lend" DGD any funds needed. If these are not GIFTED, then they aren't income to her and don't accidentally disqualify her from subsidies you and your kids have paid taxes for all along. AFTER graduation, you may "forgive" her of a chunk of that debt annually, within the tax-free gifting guidelines.

Alternatively, you have a $12,000 annual tax-free gift exemption as a tool. If your spouse is still with you, you both have a seperate $12,000 exemption. You could go as far as each of you gifting $12k to DD, DS, and DGD ($36,000 annually from you and grampa, each.) CAREFUL THOUGH... although doing so can be tax free to you and them, it would also then show as income to DGD, and increased net assets to DD & DS, which all goes into the qualification formulas for the student aid (which again, you've been paying for all along for years & years. I have no qualms about reclaiming the benefits that have been paid for in past premiums.)

Hope that helps,
Dave Donhoff
Strategic Equity & Mortgage Planner

o

What if she just pays a certain bill directly? Such as housing, or whatever? Would that be considered 'income' for DGD?

o

Hi housenewbie,

Good Q! Just "that much more" than I know, in terms of implications to taxes and/or qualifications for student aid.

Thus my weasel-deferral; Check with a college funding pro ;~)

Cheers,
Dave

o

There may be a way to roll over currently invested money into the 529 Plan and not pay taxes on the earnings. I am just throwing ideas that I have NO knowledge in. Again, you NEED to ask someone with the expertise.

For example if you have 10k in the stocks and its cost basis is 1k, you would had to pay capital gains on 9k if the stocks are sold to pay for tuition. With money in the 529 plan, that 9k is not taxed if used for education. Generally, that money needed to be ear marked for college education from the beginning. What I do not know is if you can rollover the funds after the fact and take advantage of the plan. If you find out let ME know....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here