Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

borrowing from Family Trust

Posted by Shrimpie (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 6, 05 at 1:50

Hi All,
Would appreciate your best advice/input about a family loan we're arranging. Grandmother has amassed a respectable family trust, a portion of which she is willing to loan to me to help complete our home remodel (project is in overtime and we're running out of funds, for various reasons I won't go into here). We'll be moving back into remodeled home and refinancing within the next 6-8 months or so, using the proceeds to pay off this family loan. We agree to repay the loan with interest, and to cover any capital gains tax or other expenses that grandmother will incur. The loan will also be secured by deed of trust on our remodeled house.

A portion of the trust invested in mutual funds was liquidated last week, and will be transferred to Grandmother's account of choice on Monday. She will then write me a check for the loan amount, which I will deposit in a separate interest bearing account. I am concerned that the loan funds flow in the proper manner from the trust to our account -- I worry that even a one-day stop in the wrong bank account will result in additional taxes or penalties to the trust or to grandmother.

Anybody out there with experience in this kind of transaction? Banking services are so specialized I have not been able to get a clear or comprehensive answer looking at the entire transaction from start to finish... one person I should query more is grandmother's accountant, perhaps...
I think that pretty much covers the situation and my concerns...Thanks for your thoughts - I look forward to hearing.
P.S. Grandmother has made similar loans for smaller amounts to other siblings over the years, but not from the Trust - this is the first time I have requested funds, and we have asked for considerably more (secured as well by our considerably larger asset).

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: borrowing from Family Trust

So, what did your grandmother's accountant say? I think you were on the right track - either the accountant or the tax attorney.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here