SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breenthumb

Literally flushing money down the drain

breenthumb
16 years ago

We've been trying to clean out deceased (in Dec.)SIL's house to put it up for sale and, of course, are responsible for maintaining it until then. Every time I went into the basement I heard water running into the sump pump. A few feet away is an empty box for a for a sump pump that works with water to guarantee that basement doesn't flood--OK, guess it must recycle somehow like our pool filter did.

We've never needed a sump pump and know nothing about them.

Got the card this week that its time to read the water meter and call it in, and by the way, we haven't gotten a reading in 6 months so be sure to respond. Took reading and called it in. THEM: "Are you sure that first number is a nine and not a six?" ME: "No its definately a nine" THEM: That can't be right. According to this your water bill is $771.00!" By the next day, when we were able to go back and get another reading, 3,000 (Thousand!)more gallons had flushed down the drain!!!

Called plumber to come immediately and we turned off main water supply, but in the meantime DD called someone who said "the float is stuck, just give it a whack" and when she turned on the main no more rushing water.

Not sure why I'm posting this here. Just venting I guess. Plus the fact that our whole family is so conscious of the water we use it's doubly troubling. Sandy

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions