Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these deductions?

Posted by chery2 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 25, 07 at 22:47

We had four replacement windows installed in our new/old early '70s house in 2005. In 2006 we replaced the roof. Can we claim any of this?

chery2 in va

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these deductions?

I assume you mean: "Are they tax deductions?" The answer is no.

However, save the receipts. When you sell the home, you can add these costs in when establishing the "basis" of the house and this can possibly reduce the taxable profit, depending on the sales price. I sold a house two years ago that I had owned for over 30 years. I saved the receipts for all the improvements and several major remodels done over that time; when I added up all the costs, it reduced the amount of profit that was taxable by over $200K.

In general, if you sell your house, there is currently an exemption for a married couple filing jointly of the first $500K of profit from a home sale (presuming it's been your major home for at least 2 years). The saved receipts will only help if you exceed the $500K of profit exemption.

o

The IRS has new rules for 2006 energy credits. Your new windows came too early for them to benefit. If your roof is metal and you also installed new insulation in your attic, you may quality. Check out the IRS website - link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: IRS Energy

o

kee01-
Good point...I should have remembered that possibility.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here