Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sales Tax Deduction Questions for 2006

Posted by amy2005 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 3, 07 at 22:32

Hi

We had a company completely remodel our kitchen this past year. We had another company paint the interior of our house. We did not buy the materials directly- the company did and of course then we paid those companies. Can we still deduct the sales tax on the cost of building materials? We live in Washington State (no state income tax) if that helps.

Thank you!

Amy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sales Tax Deduction Questions for 2006

Amy,
I'm also in WA state. The company who did the remodel should have sent you an invoice which should have stated the sales tax. FYI, they are supposed to charge sales tax on both labor as well as materials. If you don't have an invoice from them, I'd call the person you worked with and have them send it to you asap.
(The company that built our house last year sent us a year end sales tax statement showing the sales tax we paid month by month.)

o

IMHO, you need to be careful claiming the sales tax deduction for sales tax that you personally didn't pay.

Is the builder who bought the materials claiming the sales tax as part of his cost of materials on his return? If so, those dollars for sales taxes paid are already being deducted by the builder. If you also deduct the sales tax that the builder paid, then the deduction is being taken twice for the same amount of sales tax. I think the IRS would frown on 2 deductions for the same dollars spent in sales tax.

If the builder is paying materials under a tax exempt numer, then reselling those materials to you and charging you sales tax, that amount should be reflected on your invoice as zone 8grandma suggests and would be deductible on your return.

I know nothing about Washington sales tax law, but I do believe that that both you and your builder claiming a deduction for the same sales tax would be frowned on by the IRS.

Hopefully this makes sense. I've rewritten it several times and am still not sure it's clear what I'm trying to say.

o

If the builder is paying materials under a tax exempt numer, then reselling those materials to you and charging you sales tax, that amount should be reflected on your invoice as zone 8grandma suggests and would be deductible on your return.

This is the most common way that it is done (in WA state). Your invoice should give you exactly the amount that you can deduct. If you have any unanswered questions about the charges for your remodel, I'd be on the phone calling the company.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here