Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dividend statement ?

Posted by karigraphy (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 24, 06 at 22:29

We receive annual 1099-DIV forms for a few small quantities of stock my husband's grandmother gave him when he was growing up.

We have no idea what the number of shares are and/or what they are worth.

Is there a way to find out how many shares we own of each? One of the statements has the number of shares so we were able to figure that one out.

For the others, I was hoping to get dividend info and divide dividends received by dividends per share to get the total shares. I've found the trading symbols for each of the stocks but the dividend information doesn't compute.

Any ideas???

Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dividend statement ?

Karen,

What is the originating body that's sending out the forms? Are they all sent from one agency, or do they come separately?

If you can't find the necessary information by contacting them, use a search engine to look up the companies by name, then send a message to the companies and ask them.

They may refer you to a transfer agent that deals with their stock changing hands from one owner to another, or they may give you an answer.

You say that Grandma "gave" the stock - does that mean that he at one time received the actual certificates, that have since been lost, or did he never see any?

You might ask the company whether their records show that the certificates were issued to him.

Now, in many cases, they do not issue certificates - the records are kept in the databases of the stockbrokerage firms from whom the shares were bought. Sorry, I said "... stock brokerage firms from whom ...", but I should have said, " ... through whom ... ", as they order the shares for you from the company (or its transfer agent).

Hope this helps.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here