Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CA Online Prefilled Tax Form

Posted by eric_92037 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 11, 09 at 21:51

I just got a notice in the mail from the State of California that my tax return was prefilled and ready for me to go online and verify. At first I thought it was a scam. I had no idea this service even existed. If only the IRS could adopt this program.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CA Online Prefilled Tax Form

This idea has been suggested for the IRS, but I don't think it will fly in practice.

Consider: Suppose for some reason you have income that the IRS doesn't know about. Maybe the 1099 form got lost in the mail, or there was a transcription error, or it was a payment from a foreign company, or the payer went out of business or died before sending in the tax forms, or whatever.

Anyway, now you get a pre-filled-in form from the IRS that doesn't include that income. What do you do? Whatever you answer, you're wrong.

Because if you say that you should report that income, as you are expected to do now, you have just said that even though the IRS fills out the forms for you, and you agree with them, you might still be expected to cough up extra money later if it turns out that the IRS didn't know about something.

On the other hand, if you say that you shouldn't report that income, you have just established the principle that if for some reason the IRS doesn't find out about it in time, you don't owe it. Which means you have just given the IRS the responsibility of tracking all financial transactions all the time, just in case.

Either way, I don't think this is a winning idea.

o
RE: CA Online Prefilled Tax Form

I hope the IRS never implements pre-filled forms.

How would they know our business expenses, the car expenses, donations, etc. when they vary so much from year to year?

Forget to change one pre-filled number and the whole thing is wrong... not good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here