Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Better health, longer healthy retirement, save a bucket of money

Posted by joyfulguy (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 04 at 20:29

I posted this topic on "Money Saving Tips" so won't reiterate here.

Good wishes as you pursue your (worthwhile) goals - including financial.

ole joyful

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Better health, longer healthy retirement, save a bucket of mo

Hi again, all,

The suggestion was ... to quit smoking.

Spike figured that the message was too promotional for the website where many people have found a great deal of help in their attempt to quit smoking. Quite a number claim that they doubt that their effort to quit would have been successful without the advice, empathy and friendship that they found there.

Good wishes to each of you who decides to quit - it's a difficult task for many. But it's very worthwhile, for a large variety of reasons, apart from the financial.

A member of a family with lung weakness, which I share, I started to smoke about age 16.

After about 6 mos., liking neither the taste nor, being frugal, the cost - I quit.

Now, several years into (more or less) retirement and enjoying good health, I'm mighty thankful that I had the good sense to part company with cigarettes, those many (almost 60) years ago.

I hope for a similarly healthy, happy, prosperous retirement for each of you, as well: will offer whatever help I can, if you ask.

ole joyful

o

Whether folks use your site or use any of a number of available support group options, please quit smoking. Then from the perspective of saving money, reward yourself with a retirement savings plan, and a longer life to enjoy it with.

I will be attending the funeral of a good friend's father on Saturday, who was diagnosed with end-stage lung cancer 2 weeks ago and just passed away today. It moved quickly - his xrays 6 months ago were fine. He was a lifelong smoker. If only one person reads this and quits because of it, then I would be very pleased.

To those of you who have successfully quit already - and I know of several on THS web - Congratulations for doing probably the most difficult thing you could ever do, but also an accomplishment to be very proud of!!!

o

I never smoked myself, thank goodness, but I knew a very dear man who smoked for over 50 years. He finally decided to quit smoking and he quit cold turkey when his doctor told him that he had better quit if he wanted to get much older. He had started smoking at around 10 years old. Anyway, when he quit he did not yet have any noticable health problems and thought he had avoided them. But, even after he had quit for 3 or 4 years, the lung problems developed anyway and he ended up hardly able to breathe. Those 50 years of smoking caught up with him and he had thought when he first quit that he had been the lucky one to have escaped lung damage. He died 4 years ago.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here