Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

College Tuition tax deduction question?

Posted by msmagoo (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 11, 06 at 19:52

I just prepared my returns but because this is the 1st year of college for my daughter, I'm a little confused. We received a 1098-T from the college with qualified tuition billed for 6046, she also received a VA guaranteed assistance credit of 1425, that is listed on this same form as a scholarship/grant. My question is how do i know whether that is tax free or not? The way the software directed me to list it was to deduct the 1425 from 6046 and list the difference as the tuition deduction. When i printed my returns it has the 1425 listed in line 7(wages, salaries) as income, does that sound right?
Thanks in advance!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: College Tuition tax deduction question?

Call the IRS, they'll answer any questions you have.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here