Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
insurance problems

Posted by CarolsSis (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 28, 04 at 18:41

Our homeowners insurance just sent us a letter telling us they were not going to renew our insurance. The reason is that they say they sent a letter to request information and didn't recieve a reply. They sent this letter after receiving the information. My question is, how long do you have to mail them a list of items stolen in a burglary? We reported the burglary by phone, and took 3 months to make up a list of stolen items. Now they are saying they didn't receive it, which they did. Is this legal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: insurance problems

It probably varies from state to state. Call your state's insurance commission, or if you can't find the name or number of that office, call the Attorney General's office for help or a referral to the correct agency.

o

Can you prove they received the information (registered receipt, etc.)? If so, take that info to them. Or to the Attorney General. Take it to the AG, though, and you'll probably be looking for a different insurance company anyway. But try to resolve it first. It will hurt to look for insurance with someone else if you're listed as having been declined.

o

Thanks for the advice. We've finally gotten the problems solved. The claims rep. stated she couldn't accept my handwritten list of stolen items, and sent it back. She wanted it formatted to her form, which I couldn't use. Reason, it's from Excel, which I don't have. Underwriting department has received our letter. We were forced to contact a manager. Seems our claims rep. didn't want to convert our list herself, and was trying to make me do her work. And it's her fault that other letter wasn't sent to underwriting department. We will probably find another insurance company anyway. This kind of treatment from them is totally unacceptable to us. First, last, and only claim!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here