Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Setting up Trust for Elderly Parent?

Posted by snikcilla (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 6, 09 at 17:39


My father is 85 and in an assisted living facility. I am his POA. All of his money is in standard investments, etc.
When he passes away, all of his money will be subject to the hefty estate tax.

Can I set up a "trust" of some kind for him, that would eliminate some of this tax?

(I visit with an elderly woman and her POA / daughter has checks that say "elderly woman's name Trust" on them, that the daughter uses to pay for various things for the mom.)

When my dad passes away, we need money to go to his children (not his grandchildren or charity, etc.)

Could a "work" in this situation?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Setting up Trust for Elderly Parent?

You should get an Attorney. We had a trust set up and a living will, it's need a lawyer. JMHO.

RE: Setting up Trust for Elderly Parent?

I second the advise to go to an attorney. It sounds like you have several issues, not just one (setting up a trust). Try to find one that specializes in eldercare and trusts.

Good luck.

RE: Setting up Trust for Elderly Parent?

I third the suggestion of a competent, experienced eldercare attorney, AND tax advisor. This is an extremely tricky problem and the IRS has seen a lot of people in your situation, so tax planning should have been started well before this to avoid 'look-back'.

Because the political football that is the estate tax is still being juggled around, your comment about your father's entire estate being subject to estate taxes surprises me. As things stand now, if he dies in 2010 there is no federal tax due at all. But maybe I've missed something on the news lately, I haven't been paying close attention the past couple of weeks. Anyway, do find a good tax advisor and estate attorney for some serious consultations. Good luck!

RE: Setting up Trust for Elderly Parent?

A trust will not eliminate any estate tax but sometimes it can help minimize it. You cannot set up a trust for you father but you can help him with getting an attorney and if your father wants you involved you can be very helpful in the planning especially if you are already handling his affairs. The attorney will need a lot of information to know what the trust should address and how it should be handled.

Be sure to get a certified estate attorney and a CPA who specializes in estate planning and tax issues. They are expensive but well worth the investment. If your father estate is less that 3.5 million for 2009 no federal estate tax will be due 2010 is still a free pass unless congress changes things. Our new president has been quoted as saying he will leave it alone until 2011 but the speaker of the house has said she wants it repealed now. If nothing else we may see who wears the pants in this administration. LOL State estate tax can be quite different from state to state so that may be an issue also.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here