Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AMT and Property Taxes

Posted by dgmarie (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 10, 06 at 17:15

Somehow this year I hit some AMT threshold (grrr) and now my $$$$ property taxes no longer make much if any dent in my federal tax. Does this sound right? I'm using TaxCut software (have been successfully for years).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AMT and Property Taxes

That's what the AMT does. If you meet the criteria, your taxes are recalculated with restrictions on deductions. People who live in high tax states really suffer when those deductions go out the window.

Welcome to the club. I don't think I'll get hit with it this year, but I have been in the past.

o

I was wrong. I just finished doing my federal return in Turbotax, and I got hit with the AMT for 2005. It cost me about $1,400 over what I would have paid with all of my regular deductions.

Rats. That's what I get for living in a high tax state.

o

I am still trying to understand this AMT tax. I just did my taxes and it said with the information I just put in I do not have to pay it, what ever IT is.

o

AMT is Alternative Minimum Tax.
It was originally passed to catch very high income earners with a lot of deductions.
It was not indexed for inflation, and as incomes have risen more and more people are falling under its umbrella.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here