SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

Car repair -- I knew better, but...

I didn't shop around. Pressed for time, trusted my usual oil change place, yada yada.

My muffler got real noisy and rattley over the weekend. This in a 2010 Nissan Versa with 46k miles.

I called the Nissan dealer, who said he couldn't get me in for a couple of days, then added: "It is the gasket has failed. It is a known problem with the Versa. We'll charge about $450 to fix it with a 1 year warranty. You'll need a new gasket and tailpipe. I suggest you go to Midas or Monroe, they will charge 60-70% of what we will and give you a lifetime warranty"

So did I look on line about this "known problem"? Did I call around to various shops to price the repair? No I did not.

I went to my local Goodyear where I normally get my oil changed, told him what the Nissan service manager said, and let them repair it. They gave me a "discount" but still charged me $385, putting in a whole new muffler assembly.

So today I looked online about this problem. Lots of complaints about a weld failing in that assembly that could be re-welded (and had been by Midas etc) for $50-$100, 30 minute wait.

Or, the parts: a gasket can be had for $8 and a muffler for $85. Labor runs $300 for a 40 minute repair?

Sheesh. It wasn't an emergency. Lesson re-learned.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions