Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Washington’s Day of Reckoning

Posted by dreamgarden (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 3, 09 at 16:03

Hang on to your wallets! Here are a few things that Martin Weiss and his colleagues are predicting for 2009.

I'll be curious to see if these predictions are as accurate as the ones he has been making since before 2004.

7 Startling Forecasts for 2009
by Martin D. Weiss, Ph.D.

AT LEAST 10% unemployment. If you include discouraged and part-time workers, it will be at least 16%.

An unstoppable chain reaction of bankruptcies.

In 2009, the U.S. government will have to give up saving most of these companies!

The federal deficit will balloon to at least $2 trillion.

The Dow is headed to 5500.

Stock dividends are going to be cut and cancelled left and right.

Expect a new, more advanced phase in the real estate collapse.

This is the year that income is going to take a massive hit.

Links that might be useful:

Washington’s Day of Reckoning
02-01-09
www.moneyandmarkets.com/washingtons-day-of-reckoning-29510

7 Startling Forecasts for 2009
02-02-09
www.moneyandmarkets.com/7-startling-forecasts-for-2009-29518

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Washington’s Day of Reckoning

You forgot:

Elvis will be found alive
Obama will find a cabinet appointee WITHOUT tax problems
Global warming will be found to be TRUE

in all seriousness,
some of that is likley to come true,but if you throw enough pasta against the wall, some will stick

o

This is the year that income is going to take a massive hit.

What a wizard - did he forget his first prediction - AT LEAST 10% unemployment.

Even I can predict that the loss of jobs impacts incomes, often in a massive way. Oh yes, and the loss of jobs and the subsequent loss of income could also spell loss of homes and more bankruptcies.

So far my stocks are still paying dividends and a few even raised them.

o

Like I have said before, I do not listen to and read about all the predicted gloom and doom the media keeps repeating.

I believe that in time, things will turn around for the better. It is really anyone's guess as to how long it will be though before that happens.

I do think that there have already been and will be a lot of people who will be affected by the economy, but I won't be one of them.

A lot of folks have lived too high on the hog for too long. A lot of folks bought the most house they could possibly afford. It was never taken into consideration that one working spouse or partner might get sick, and not be able to work, or that one's job or hours could be cut. Every cent of their wages was spent before it was even earned. Too many folks have lived for today with absolutely no concern about tomorrow. These are the ones who will suffer hardships, but possibly through no fault of their own. There are those who have lived well within their means, and even saved, but had misfortune befall them and been wiped out.

I predict that many big (McMansion type)single family households will someday have to hold 2 or more families to help one another and be able to pay the expenses. That might be a good thing.

would you care to share your opinions of what YOU think we can expect from the economy in 2009?
Well, I think it is either going to change or it's not.

o

Others can speak for themselves, but a cut and paste of Martin Weiss newsletter items are his words, opinions, and thoughts, not yours. Lacking any additional opinion and/or input from you, I can only assume Martin Weiss speaks for you.

How have you, dreamgarden, profited or gained financial insights by subscribing to Weiss's newsletters? What action were you prompted to take after reading his early 2009 predictions? Tell us about it in your own words - not with another Martin Weiss cut and paste.

I predict we won't see any real movement toward recovery until after the first quarter of 2010. Trickle up is likely to take more time than trickle down ever does.

I predict massive layoffs continuing and the number of those on the unemployment rolls and actually counted will go over 10%.

I predict liquidators will be one the few outfits going strong.

I predict May/June graqduates will have a terrible time landing a job they really want.

I predict many of the May/June graduates will continue living at home for an indeterminate number of years.

I predict many of today's McMansions will become group homes, nursing homes.

I predict the car companies will have their hands out again at the end of March, end of June, end of September.

I predict a general decline in manufacturing private aircraft.

I predict Obama's cap on executive compensation will send the right message. Jeez, a lot of us would have been happy to have run some of these corporations into the ground for a lot less than even 500k!!

o

duluthinbloomz4-"Others can speak for themselves, but a cut and paste of Martin Weiss newsletter items are his words, opinions, and thoughts, not yours. Lacking any additional opinion and/or input from you, I can only assume Martin Weiss speaks for you."

Lots of people post links to articles. They often do it without going into great detail about what their opinions are relating to the content. Why should it be any different about Martin Weiss? He doesn't speak for me, I just agree with much of what he writes. If you read the archives, you will notice that a lot of what he has written about has come to pass.

"How have you, dreamgarden, profited or gained financial insights by subscribing to Weiss's newsletters? What action were you prompted to take after reading his early 2009 predictions? Tell us about it in your own words - not with another Martin Weiss cut and paste."

Yes, we have profited quite nicely since we started receiving Martin Weiss's free newsletters. We haven't had to make any changes to our portfolio this year. Everything we needed to change was done in 2007. Long before this subprime mess came down the pike.

duluthinbloomz4-Perhaps you would care to share the details of how YOU picked stocks that are not only paying nice dividends but also increasing them?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here