SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pipersville_carol_gw

Home-based-business liability insurance?

Pipersville_Carol
19 years ago

Does anybody out there have a home-based-business with clients that come to the house? My husband is thinking of starting one, and my head is spinning after phone calls with insurance agents.

He has a small (but nice) music studio in our home, and his idea is that people could come in and record themselves singing or playing the piano or whatever. They wouldn't be professional musicians, just talented amateurs who need or want a professional-quality recording of themselves, for college applications or as a gift for grandma.

Our current insurer doesn't offer business insurance, so we'd have to change carriers. I called an agent for a quote, and was told that it could cost as much as $1500 a year, and that we'd need to incorporate to protect our personal assets.

Now, this is NOT a business that is going to generate much income right off the bat. I'm really wondering if this makes sense financially. I don't want to crush hubby's dream, but we can't do this without adequate insurance to protect our assets.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of insurance, that they'd like to share?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
More Discussions