Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Turbo Tax type programs for home and business

Posted by ladybug1 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 18, 06 at 15:59

I am trying to help my elderly parents with some bookkeeping tasks so that tax time is easier for them. I have looked at Quicken and Turbo Tax for record keeping. I don't want to necessarily do all the "fancy" stuff that Quicken does. I just really need it to record expenditures and income and I would like for the program to automatically add the columns at the end. I guess the other thing I need to know is how many categories can you have with Quicken and Turbo Tax? My parents have some income from rental property.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Turbo Tax type programs for home and business

I don't know the limit on the number of categories and subcategories in Quicken, but I'm sure it's more than you could ever need. For each tax-related category, you identify it as to how is is to be used on the Tax Return (i.e. Schedule A, Charitable Contributions; Schedule B, dividend Income; Form 2441, Qualifying Childcare Expenses, etc)from a pull-down menu in Quicken when you set up the category. I've never downloaded directly from Quicken to TurboTax, preferring to use the totals on the Quicken reports to do a manual input.

o

Hi Ladybug,

I have a cabin rental business, 7 cabins that I own, 22 that I manage. I use quick book for the montly/daily record keeping and then use Turbo Tax Premier for annual taxes.

I find them both easy to use and with each you can have many properties.

jerri

o

Another option might be some pre-made templates for whatever you may have on that computer for a spreadsheet (Excel, Works, Quattro, etc.). You might even find some which are freeware or much cheaper than the Intuit products.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Google search for business spreadsheet templates

o

I appreciate the information each of you sent. I probably need to get my dad to call the tax preparer and ask about categories (identify them). My dad can make what should be easy extrememly complicated by too much detail.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here