SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trianglejohn

2010 Inheritance Income Taxes

trianglejohn
13 years ago

In a nutshell - Father died in 2007, mother died in 2008. All five adult kids named as heirs to an estate worth less than $200,000. Older brother is the executor of their estate and the only child to live in the home town and state. There was a problem with the will so lawyers were needed to correct things and move it through the process. Everything was settled and my brother sold their house in early 2010. We each received our share. I used my share to pay down my mortgage.

I'm trying to do my taxes and I'm confused about what documents I need. Because the value of the estate or my share of the estate is small, I understand that my inheritance will not affect my income taxes. Isn't there a document that I'm supposed to include with my taxes that shows how much I got? Something similar to a 1099 form? Who issues this form? Aren't they due to me on the last day of January? I do my taxes myself and don't want to pay someone to fill out simple forms (my income is simple, no need to itemize).

When I call my brothers and sisters to ask what they know or plan on doing, everyone just says that since the inheritance won't affect their income taxes they plan on doing nothing. They all have accountants do their taxes and they wait until the last minute to file. I have a fear that the IRS will ask about this later and it will cause me to file an amended return.

Anyone know what I am supposed to do?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus
More Discussions