SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Memo to youth and young and middle-aged workers

joyfulguy
18 years ago

There's another thread on this forum called, "Present Economic Climate".

One of the messages there, written by "steve o", who usually posts level-headed messages (in my opinion), near the end of the thread, written Feb. 3, bears some careful thought, it seems to me.

In these times, in my opinion it is important for working people to keep learning new things and upgrading skills in order to continue to be able to provide a useful service to society in case of "downsizing" - which to me means "getting fired".

As you know, the industrial and economic situation worldwide is changing rapidly, and the pace of change is increasing. As more complex manufacturing is built abroad, operated by low-wage people, our productive systems in many cases can't compete - shoes and shirts aren't made here any more, in any quantity. And many other parts of the industrial, financial, business and economic system are changing rapidly.

Further, many of what we thought only recently to be secure positions in our part of the world ...

... are disappearing like smoke.

Or being relocated offshore.

I am thankful to be retired, to be out of not only the rat-race, but the worry about having one's skill become obsolete, especially if it's one where it's difficult to transfer parts of it into a related field that is viable - well, at present, at least.

I think that you might find Steve's outlook interesting.

Have a happy weekend, everyone.

ole joyful

Comments (9)

Sponsored
More Discussions