Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
resource for finding a fee-only CFP

Posted by gibby3000 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 08 at 15:18

I'm still doing a lot of reading and educating myself - I read an article in this weekend's WSJ about retirement planning. It had a blurb about Sheryl Garrett, fee-only planners and the Garrett Planning Network. If you believe in CFPs and fee-only planning you might find this of interest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garrett Planning Network

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: resource for finding a fee-only CFP

Fee-only is a better way to go but you still have to be careful. The trouble is that people don't know anything about investing and don't know the proper questions to ask.
A few years ago I thought I needed a financial advisor but I also did a bit of research and I ended up doing my own investing. It's not hard.

I'm convinced at this point that the 'financial advice' business is, with very few exceptions, a scam. And how does someone find one of those rare exceptions?

Never pay a 'percent of assets' (wrap) fee. That's an ongoing (and unearned) fee that eats up your nestegg. Only pay an hourly or one time fee. Know your fund fees (expense ratio).

A couple of my girlfriends and I are trying to set up a website to warn people about using 'financial advice'.

www.saveyournestegg.com

Please, please be careful with your nest egg!! Make sure that you do not use a 'financial advisor' that is really a broker (product salesman). Fee only is better but DIY is best.

"the BCT study found that the raw returns of equally weighted mutual funds (net of all expenses) for 1996 to 2002 were 6.626% for the investors working on their
own and were 2.924% for funds provided by advisors.

In other words, the public working on its own did more than 100% better than financial advisors when it came to selecting equity mutual funds. After factoring in inflation and taxes, clients of financial advisors lost money and lost purchasing power."

http://trendfollowing.com/whitepaper/The Study of the Decade.pdf

Thanks for your time! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here