Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beneficiary IRA ??

Posted by zone_8grandma (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 08 at 14:27

I've done a search on this forum and haven't found a clear answer - and I've already told son to talk to an expert,
but...... if anyone here can help, I'd sure appreciate it.

Son is receiving a distribution from his late father's IRA. He's taking the distribution over 3 years, 17,000 per year.

Does he owe income taxes on it? I believe since it's inherited that he does not. Is that correct?

He's missed the deadline to roll it into an existing IRA - He does want to put it towards future retirement.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beneficiary IRA ??

I received a beneficiary IRA a few years ago. There are special rules for beneficiary IRAs, which are rather complicated. He will owe taxes on all disbursals. It cannot be directly rolled over into his own IRA, it must remain a beneficiary IRA, or taxes will be immediately due. I know that I am actually required to take out a portion of mine every year. The amount is based upon my life expectancy. When I received the b-IRA I was 47, and according to the actuarial tables that they used, they determined that I had another 47 years left (crossing fingers that they are correct!). I need to take a minimum of 1/47th out each year, and it does count as taxable income that year. If your son wants to change the account in any way he needs to be VERY careful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beneficiary IRA rules

o
RE: re:Beneficiary IRA ??

Below is another very good article on beneficiary IRAs

Here is a link that might be useful: Bankrate.com article

o
RE: Beneficiary IRA ??

Thanks so much for that info and link! He's missed the deadline talked about in the article. I've already suggested that he talk to our CFP. Now I'm going to make sure he does!
Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here