Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone heard of ctopay?

Posted by mlou_51 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 13, 10 at 13:50

I just had a debit go through on my debit card. The bank says it was through this company CTOPAY.CC and for almost $300. We didn't make the charge and never even heard of them. Does anyone know anything about them? My bank is clueless regarding them as well. I found a ph# and website, but I'm afraid to check it out for fear of getting ripped off further. I don't know exactly what I should do. thanks, Mlou

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone heard of ctopay?

Did you ask the bank about challenging the charge? It has to be in writing, but be sure to do that ASAP.

I'd close the card, too, and ask for a new one. Treat it as if your card has been stolen.

o

I called the bank but they were closing for the day and I'll have to go in on Mon. I didn't think to tell them to close the card when I called. Means I'll have to miss a day of work but I thought to go in to bank and check in case other charges on there as well. I'll have them close the card then and ask about challenging the charge. thanks, Mlou

o

Here is more info about stolen debit cards. Even tho the card may never have left your possession, it is still 'stolen' if being used.

I never use my debit card except at my bank to get cash. A credit card is much safer to use in everyday transactions.

Here is a link that might be useful: stolen debit cards

o

Here's info on the company, sounds like a type of PayPal. But if you didn't buy anything, it's someone using this group to process your card. So the end thief is not this co

Here is a link that might be useful: about ctopay

o

Look at the back of your debit card. There should be a toll free number on your card that is available 24/7. Call this number and tell them you suspect fraudulent activity on your card.

If you do not see a number on your card, try one of these...

If your card has a VISA logo, you can call 1-800-847-2911
If it has a MasterCard logo, you can call 1-800-627-8372

Remember, with a debit card, the crooks are taking money out of your checking account. Please, do not wait until Monday, this will give them the weekend to clean your account out.

Although it is very likely that everything will be set to rights, it could take some time, so the sooner you get the card number off the market, the better.

o

Thank you all. I just called the Visa 800# and got the card reported as stolen and blocked. The bank did not do so when I spoke with them earlier. Guess the lady wanted to get on home, it was just before closing. I would have been worried (or at least more than I already am) all weekend. It did cause me to be overdrawn too! It was good advice. Mlou

o

cindyb_va-"Look at the back of your debit card. There should be a toll free number on your card that is available 24/7. Call this number and tell them you suspect fraudulent activity on your card. Remember, with a debit card, the crooks are taking money out of your checking account. Please, do not wait until Monday, this will give them the weekend to clean your account out."

I would definitely not wait until monday. I googled "cytopay" and it says its a Chinese Trading Scam. You might want to see if it could have happened in any of the ways described in the following article.

Identity fraud nightmare: One man's story
Technology and the recession push ID theft and fraud to record levels
By Jennifer Waters, MarketWatch
Feb. 10, 2010

"Identity thieves steal mostly through two means, according to Michael Stanfield, chief executive of Intersections Inc., a risk-management firm. They take an established address and phone number of an identity that "has some value," he said, like a doctor or a lawyer. In many instances, they can go to the Internet and acquire the matching Social Security number for as little as $50. They then have enough information to get an address changed with your bank account or a credit card account. They apply for new accounts as you.

Others take over existing accounts, Stanfield said, through keystroke malware that you -- and probably hundreds or even thousands simultaneously -- have picked up through the Internet.

Listening software then sits on your computer, perking up when you go to a bank site. It copies all your key strokes -- your user name, password, challenge question, account numbers, everything.

"You leave and the bad guy goes right back in behind you," Stanfield said. "We've seen examples where that has occurred and its gets fixed and a month later the computer gets cleaned out again and he becomes a new victim, even with a new account."

Links that might be useful:

fraudwatchers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18615

www.marketwatch.com/story/story/print?
guid=A76A0F94-9331-43C1-BA63-67B9DBD89473

o

Place a fraud alert at one of the 3 reporting companies. I have included a link for equifax below. Make sure that they will notify the other two.

Here is a link that might be useful: equifax fraud alert

o

Well, we filled out fraud papers at the bank and the debit card is closed, but the bank doesn't have fraud insurance. It's unlikely we'll ever see the money back. We have decided not to use a debit card again. The debit did come through ctopay.cc and the name used was Liangfu Shenzhen. Even if we don't get our money back, I hope the thief gets caught. Again, thanks for all the help. Mlou

o

Think about getting a new bank, too.

"the bank doesn't have fraud insurance"

o

Mlou, if the thief is in another country, there is no chance he will be caught.

Regarding your loss, I think you need to look at the rules. Your bank is required to follow certain rules regarding credit/debit card losses. The following is an excerpt from the law; the sentence in bold is the one I believe applies to you in your situation.

Your liability under federal law for unauthorized use of your ATM or debit card depends on how quickly you report the loss. If you report an ATM or debit card missing before it's used without your permission, the EFTA says the card issuer cannot hold you responsible for any unauthorized transfers. If unauthorized use occurs before you report it, your liability under federal law depends on how quickly you report the loss.

For example, if you report the loss within two business days after you realize your card is missing, you will not be responsible for more than $50 for unauthorized use. However, if you don't report the loss within two business days after you discover the loss, you could lose up to $500 because of an unauthorized transfer. You also risk unlimited loss if you fail to report an unauthorized transfer within 60 days after your bank statement containing unauthorized use is mailed to you. That means you could lose all the money in your bank account and the unused portion of your line of credit established for overdrafts. However, for unauthorized transfers involving only your debit card number (not the loss of the card), you are liable only for transfers that occur after 60 days following the mailing of your bank statement containing the unauthorized use and before you report the loss.

If the bank does not have insurance for the loss, tough stuff on them; they must follow the above rules, it is the law. If they resist, hire an attorney and sue them for the loss of your funds plus your legal costs.

Get your money back and change banks ASAP. No customer deserves to be treated like you have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

"If the bank does not have insurance for the loss, tough stuff on them; they must follow the above rules, it is the law. If they resist, hire an attorney and sue them for the loss of your funds plus your legal costs."

Before you hire a lawyer you might want to try contacting the Comptroller of the Currency's office first (plus its free). They enforce the laws and regulations relating to the national banks, and they respond to and investigate consumer complaints regarding the services of these banks. They were very helpful when I had a credit card issue years ago.

They have six locations. Call the one closest to you:

Northeastern district-N.Y. 212-819-9860

Southeastern-Atlanta, GA 404-659-8855

Central-Chicago, IL 312-663-8000

Midwestern-Kansas City, MO 816-556-1800

Southwestern-Dallas, TX 214-720-0656

Western-San Francisco, CA 415-545-5900

o
Update on RE: anyone heard of ctopay?

Just thought I'd let you know that I contacted ctopay myself and emailed back and forth. They found the order and contacted the person on the other end. They asked me to be patient and I was. Finally the money was deposited back into my account by ctopay. Visa did squat. I'm glad I took the initiative and contacted them. The amount was 2 dollars lesss than original but I'm not quibbling. I was so happy to get it back. thank you for all your help and good advice. Mlou

o

"Finally the money was deposited back into my account by ctopay. "

What good news! Glad it worked out.

o

I think you should change banks. Your bank is required by federal law to refund the money, but refused to do so. But if you bank is state owned, they are under state regulations. Banks like Bank of America, etc are under federal regulatios.
I am retired banker.

o

Ctopay is a online payment gateway,it collects money for the merchant likt Paypal, but they only accept Visa credit card and mastercard. If your payment was charged unauthorized, you can contact them for help. They will contact the merchant and confirm the charge was unauthorized then return money for you. It's not scam, just third party payment processor

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here