SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
faromic

Refinancing house and taking money out

faromic
15 years ago

Hi,

I'm struggling to make a decision here...

I am looking to refinance my house. I bought it 2.5 years ago with a loan of 250k and 6.5% interest rate. My loan balance today is approx 241k. I have some debt...about 12, total including credit card, couple pieces of furniture i'm paying off, and a 4k hospital bill. Anyways, I struggled last year as I was making less and also have a 5k tax payment to make in june and also in september. I only have 1k saved right now. I want to refinance my house and take out approx 15k to 18k to payoff all my debt and help with taxes. My salary is now about 100k so I won't have any more debt issues as I'm pretty organized financially. I called my lender to get info on what my payment would be; after taking this money out and paying all closing fees (about 6.3k which seems kind of high), my loan would be for approx 262k (12k more than original loan). however my monthly payment will go down from $1580 to $1427. I think the main thing here is that my payment is going down and i'm getting rid of all my debt. I ran it by my parents, but they are old school and told me not to take any money out of the house....it's better to have a lower balance on your house but still have debt and no savings????

your thoughts....

Comments (40)

Sponsored
More Discussions