SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piedmont_gw

401k advice?

piedmont
17 years ago

I'm curious how people spread their 401k funds around. I'm 35, I have 122k in my 401k and using online calculators they tell me I need about 3 million by the time I retire and I'm going to fall short of my retirement goals at the rate I'm going. My 401k was doing very well when I was investing in 1 small cap and 1 mid-cap fund, usually I'd get 12-25% personal rate of returns. After meeting with a financial adviser he said I need to spread it out. I did between 2 small caps, 2 mid caps, and 1 European fund and my rate of return is now consistently around 4-6% and I've noticed I've fallen behind in reaching my retirement goal and I should increase my contributions. Had I not heeded his advice I'd be making 8-17% gains. By the way, I've given it 3 years now, and 12 statements in a row I'd been better off had I kept it to how I had it originally.

What's your opinion on putting them back to 2 funds vs. spreading them like my advisor recommended or even how do you go about planning your 401k?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions