SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbspook

How to find a financial advisor?

jbspook
20 years ago

I've been trying to read up on how to go about finding a financial advisor, but with all the info out there my head is spinning!

Here's our situation: Early 30s, kids planned in the next few years, both work but I want to stop working at least while children are small. We own a condo but want to buy a house in maybe 2 years or so (and are saving to that end). We both have good jobs, only debt is mortgage and car loans which should be paid off by this time next year (the car loans, not the mortgage). I would guess we have about $40K in equity in our condo based on recent sales in our neighborhood. All of our extra money is in a savings account (read no investments). DH pays his max into his 401k. I pay into a state pension but probably need an individual retirement fund of some sort on top of that.

I have zero knowledge of what I need or how to get it. But I can't figure out who to go to for that knowledge and how to decide if their recommendations are right for me. I'm sure we need better insurance and better returns on our savings. Who can tell me these things?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Jenn

Comments (8)

Sponsored
More Discussions