Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Federal income tax question

Posted by sconti_95 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 2, 07 at 6:30

My wife and I sold our home that we bought in 1990 this past year (2006) and bought a new home a couple of miles away. In reviewing the settlement statements on both the the sold and bought homes, what costs may I deduct on my Federal income tax. I am getting ready to file my federal income tax for 2006 and want to be sure that I do not miss out on any deductions. Thank you in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Federal income tax question

for the sale, you can't deduct much of anything. if you sold for a profit, it is actually income. you can deduct points paid on the buy though, and of course your interest.

RE: Federal income tax question

It's income, but IIRC if it was your primary residence you can keep the first $250K in profit without any tax. Only over 250K of profit is it taxed.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE but my experience. I would really recommend going to the bookstore and looking for a book on real estate tax issues. Don't have to buy it, just settle down with a latte and commit it to memory :)

RE: Federal income tax question

davidandkasie and flyleft: Thank you both for the information. Did not pay any points and will include the interest on the mortgage. How about state tax/stamps along with recording fees? How about Title insurance? These are high cost items and was hopeful they would be deductible. Again, thanks. Now for the latte.

RE: Federal income tax question

There are many things you can factor in to minimize your capital gain on the house you sold if the profit exceeds the $500K exemption for a married couple. Start by taking a look at the IRS publication link below. Then, when you think you understand it, invest an hour with a CPA to make sure you've got everything you've entitled to. As far as the house you just bought, the deductions are going to be interest and property taxes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Selling your home.

RE: Federal income tax question

From a federal tax standpoint, I believe the only deductible expense are the points on a new mortgage. All the other higher $$ closing costs are just simply out of pocket.

If, however, you made any energy savings improvements in your old house in 2006, you may be eligible for tax credits relating to the cost of certain of them. The IRS has info on their site.

Happy tax filing!

RE: Federal income tax question

Before you deduct points, you should determine if they qualify or not.

Here is a link that might be useful: IRS: Home Mortgage Points

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here