Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
May have goofed

Posted by tishtoshnm (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 27, 09 at 1:39

We are pursuing a refinance of our house. We were going with the bank that holds our current mortgage because we initially thought that we could do a streamlined refi with no closing costs but it turns out because our first and second give us only 10% equity, we would have to refinance the 2 into 1 and thus start paying PMI. The rates had dropped that day so we went ahead and locked. I have not turned in the completed loan application yet, I planned to get that in by tomorrow.

We ran the numbers today and it became apparent that a VA loan would probably be a better option. The funding fee on it would be a little less than $4,000 where as PMI would be $174. Assuming no great appreciation in value, we would not hit the 80% mark for another 7 years (84 months x $174 =14616). VA saves us over $10,000.

Should I just call the lender and say forget it for now? How can I handle this graciously?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: May have goofed

First read whatever you signed very carefully to find out exactly what you have committed to. If you have not obligated yourself legally, go ahead and reverse yourself. Explain your reasons. If he doesn't understand, that's his problem.

o

If they actually locked your funding (and didn't just talk-lock it) without your full package, and without a deposit... they are the fools.

Probably better of ditching them anyway... they're not showing very sharp financial practice.

Luck,
Dave Donhoff
Leverage Planner

o

Thank you both. I had called on a day when rates had dropped and we locked that rate in because Iknew that it would be going up (and it has) but I have not signed anything. I was preparing to fill out the full loan application.

Dave, in this market, do you think it is better to go with a VA loan and pay the funding fee or to pay PMI. I know that PMI is tax deductible but I honestly pay very little income taxe at thsi point (more than made up for gasoline tax, sales tax, property tax, etc, etc).

o

Hi tishtoshnm,

Dave, in this market, do you think it is better to go with a VA loan and pay the funding fee or to pay PMI. I know that PMI is tax deductible but I honestly pay very little income taxe at thsi point (more than made up for gasoline tax, sales tax, property tax, etc, etc).

Impossible to give you a financial answer w/o all your details. Tax effects, personal money management and returns on alternative uses of funds will play the determining factor.

Cheers,
Dave Donhoff
Leverage Planner

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here