Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELOC on current primary residence

Posted by humpy321 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 28, 09 at 23:09

I am closing on a new home in less than a month. I am financing the new home with a conventional loan with the understanding that it will be my primary residence. I plan on keeping my current home which I have lived in for four years. For a while it will be a second home but I eventually will rent it. My question: Can I be approved for a HELOC on my current primary residence? The credit will not be used to finance the new home. I just wanted to get approved and have the credit now while it is still my primary residence before it becomes a secondary or rental property. Thanks in advance for any advise.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELOC on current primary residence

Hi Humpy,

Yes, you might qualify for a HELOC, but you can no longer non-fraudulently apply on the basis that you "intend to occupy as your primary residence," therefore you will be graded and priced based on an investment property.

The crossing-of-the-line occurs with your intent, not the closing of the new home. The fact you've already executed your new home purchase is enough for an auditor to prove banking fraud (a federal offense) if you sign any application or represent yourself as intending to occupy the old place as "primary" for a HELOC.

Lessons learned, hopefully;
A) plan your finances before you take actions on assets themselves,
B) play it safe legally... especially when the hornets (regulators & attorneys general) are on the swarm due to the current financial industry collapse.

Luck,
Dave Donhoff
Leverage Planner

o

Thank you. That is exactly what I needed to know.

o

Hi Dave,

Don't know about hornets, but when bees swarm, they're strongly disinclined to sting.

Hope things are settling down, at home. Thinking of you.

ole joyful

o

Joyful,
Thanks for the thoughts... very sincerely. I'm obviously "back out in public" but the ongoing grief, tears & breakdowns don't show up on the published monitor screens (thank goodness.) My wife & I have received SO MANY warm & supportive contacts from the community(s)... I can't even begin to thank everyone to the depth of your value to us. Every "touch" is the spiritual oxygen we've been surviving on in the dark depths we've been plunged.

My love & appreciation to you all.
Dave (Dag's Dad)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here