SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
free_at_last

Settling an estate... what's involved? (long)

free_at_last
18 years ago

My very dear father in law passed away this weekend and left a small estate. My husband is executor of the will (although I'll be doing most of the needed paperwork, mailing, phone calling, etc.)He and his only sibling are to split whatever is left after paying bills, etc. Unfortunately, we have several obstacles to overcome and I was hoping to find advice here before going to a lawyer or other professional... that way I'd at least know what type of questions to ask :-)

First... where on earth do you start? We are seriously grieving and just going over to his small apartment sends my dh into a crying jag. So many things need to be done-- clearing out his apartment of furniture and personal belongings before rent is due Feb. 1st, selling his car, filing for insurance, paying final bills (especially medical bills.)

Second... the sibling is a raging alcoholic with all that implies. My FIL made dh executor of the will at the last minute (they were co-executors) because of the lying, stealing and manipulation of this individual. We're fairly sure that they cannot drain the accounts before we get the bills paid, but if it *is* possible, this individual will do that very thing. Is there anything we should be doing to keep this from happening?

Third... is there a list somewhere that tells step by step what's involved in this process? Something along the lines of:

1.) Have mail forwarded to new address

2) Wait for all Medicare bills to arrive

3) Write check to alcoholic sibling,

4) etc?

Any help will be greatly appreciated--

Comments (5)

Sponsored
More Discussions