SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommabird_gw

When do you get a 'new' car - or, when do you call it quits?

mommabird
15 years ago

Here's my situation. I need your wise counsel to help me make the decision to fix or trade my current car:

-2002 Ford Taurus station wagon

-85,000 miles

-Paid off 8 months ago (bought it in 2004)

-Minor body damage where someone ran into me on a bike (no I'm not kidding - the guy was going really fast & not paying attention, rammed my HARD in the rear quarter pannel & left a dent & scratches. Thank God he was OK)

Here's the problem - within 6 months after buying the car, I started smelling burning antifreeze. Over the past 4 years I've had it looked at by 3 general mechanics & a radiator shop - all said it was fine & couldn't figure out why it smelled. 2 months ago the starter went out. While fixing the starter the mechanic finally found the antifreeze leak. It's the timing chain cover gasket - a $700 repair. Right now it leaks about a teaspoon a day, so I elected to not do the repair & just check the coolant level every day.

Also on that trip to the shop, mechanic found a leaking ball joint ($400 repair). He said it isn't super urgent but needs replaced in the next 4-6 months. Along with that, I need a rear brake job & 2 new tires.

I have noticed small flecks of rust starting on the hood. I've noticed A LOT of Taurus' have this problem - the hoods tend to rust for some reason.

So here's my delima. I usually pay off a car & drive it 10 more years. But I've had good luck & never had to do repairs equal to the value of the car until the car is 12 or 13 years old. This car is only 6 years old & the total value of all of these repairs will be about what the KBB lists as the value of the car.

Here's another twist - my 14 YO son is 6'5" and will probably grow another 3 or 4". He already can't sit comfortably in the car. His head touches the ceiling. He has to sit in the front seat & recline the seat to just fit in.

I really don't want to have a car payment, but I really don't want to dump over $2500 into this car. I am considering an inexpensive larger used car. My mechanic recommends a Crown Victoria - they are tanks that last forever & will fit DS for years to come. They are also CHEAP because no one wants them except fat old men! I have no vanity about cars - I just need something that's safe, affordable, and fits DS.

The Taurus wagon seats 8. The Crown Vic seats 6. I hate to loose the 2 seats but the prices is good. A reliable, used Crown Vic is about $8,000 here in Ohio.

So is it time for me to walk away, bite the bullet, and buy a "new" used car?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions