Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bimonthly mortage payments

Posted by whispery (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 26, 04 at 20:05

Hi-

I've been thinking about making bimonthly mortgage payments. When I've read about how much they save you in the end, they make a lot of sense. I would do this on my own instead of paying someone else to do it for me.

But here's my question. We will only stay in this house for two or three more years. I'm not sure it's worth it to do the bimonthly payments. Will it really save us that much money over just 2 or 3 years? I know we will build a bit more equity, but how much will we really save on interest? Would it be more valuable to put that extra money towards higher interest debt?

What do you think?

Thanks,
Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bimonthly mortage payments

Kim,
In virtually all likelihood you'll be far better off stuffing any extra money every month into your retirement investment accounts as opposed to extra payments toward your loan principal.

Our firm does customized & personalized comparison reports for folks with your considerations... and most folks are AMAZED at the difference it ultimately makes in their net worth to direct their discretionary funds to their investments and just leave their mortgage balances alone (at least until they retire and no longer benefit from mortgage interest deductions.)

Hope that helps,
Dave Donhoff
Just some mortgage guy ;~)

o
RE: Bimonthly mortage payments

whispery,

I expect that you mean biweekly payments, that is, every two weeks, not every two months.

If you make payments twice a month, you'll make 24 payments per year - but if you make them every two weeks, that makes 26 payments annually. Which accounts for a substantial portion of the reduction in time that it takes to retire the debt.

Ofen the interest rate on mortgage is lower than on some other kinds of debt.

If the difference in rate is not large and the other kind of interest is not deductible, perhaps the difference in deductibility will more than offset the difference in rate - I assume that your mortgage interest is deductible.

If it is credit card debt that you are talking about, it might be preferable to pay down those debts instead, as the rates often run 15 - 18% for general cards, but especially if they are store-issued cards, for the annual rates often run 25 - 28%.

In this area (Canada), some people borrow to invest in a retirement account (interest not deductible) in order to gain the tax deduction. That often is wise if one uses the tax refund to pay down the principal of the loan.

Good wishes as you choose which path to follow.

BTW - learning how money works is an interesting hobby. That pays well.

joyful guy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here