SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
demeron

Tax planning hacks?

demeron
16 years ago

I don't mean "cheats." I have a healthy terror of the IRS. I mean "legal and ethical ways not to get hit by a masked bandit every April." Our household income is right around the phaseouts-- we don't get the full child tax credit, we don't get the student loan deduction. Also, they keep raising the cap on SS earnings every year so that we're paying more and more there. I work part-time basically to pay for health insurance, an expense that doesn't seem to be capturable on income taxes. We didn't get hit by the AMT, which I was worried about since we moved to a more expensive house. But we're still getting smacked pretty good. I am going to test out deducting more for 401K on Taxcut (we are nowhere near the max if you count us both). I am out of step with much of the personal finance advice I read, as I have no interest in contributing more than 10% a year to retirement. For a myriad of reasons I would rather have the money now. Apart from deducting more 401K, the only ideas I have come up with for our tax bill are:

1. making less

2. signing up for MSA if I can at work

3. deducting our home office, which makes me nervous as guests sleep there sometimes.

Do any of you have strategies for reducing the hit?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
More Discussions