SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mykidsdaddy

PMI and short sales

mykidsdaddy
15 years ago

These seem to be obvious questions and I apologize if they have been answered recently.

Let's say my mortgage is for $100,000 and that I put down 5% at closing, so the bank financed $95,000.

Since my LTV ratio is 95%, I'm paying private mortgage insurance. I understand that PMI is insurance I agreed to pay, in the event that I default, so that the bank can recoup the 15% of the customary down payment that I would normally have made. In this case, if I default, the bank would receive $15,000 from the insurance company.

If I sell the house for $100,000 and repay the bank with the proceeds, then the bank would be paid the amount I borrowed and PMI is not at issue. If the house sells for $80,000 and I pay this to the bank, suppose that the insurance company then pays $15,000 to the bank. Again the bank would be repaid the amount I borrowed.

So if all that's correct, would this be considered a short sale? Or would PMI not be paid because I sold the house instead of defaulting on the mortgage, in which case the bank might in theory pursue a deficiency judgement against me for the unpaid $15,000? I live in a recourse state (Florida).

Thanks for any help.

-- Mike

Comment (1)

Sponsored
More Discussions